WHAT TO DO IN Puerto Escondido?
Located on the Oaxacan "Emerald Coast", between Acapulco and Huatulco, Puerto Escondido is an entirely different destination from the aforementioned. Instead of having beaches surrounded by large buildings, Puerto Escondido continues to retain the flavor, character and atmosphere of a typically Mexican fishing village, with its own unique attractions.
Very early in the morning, visitors can watch the landing, on the beach, of the “catch of the day”, as it is unloaded from the fishing boats by the local fishermen who have been out, fishing, all night. During the day, beach lovers can choose from a long list of beach options such as: Bacocho, Carrizalillo, Puerto Angelito, Manzanillo, Coral, Punta Colorada, Principal, Marinero and, of course, Zicatela (ranked in the top 5 of worldwide destinations for surfing). Visitors can also go fishing on their own, take a boat excursion, visit one of the beautiful lagoons, and much more.
In the afternoon, you can stroll along the “cobblestone” main street, full of street vendors and little shops that offer a mindboggling variety of handcrafts and local products. At night, Puerto Escondido has developed an attractive offer of small restaurants and bars for all tastes, which extend along several miles of beach.
The Posada Real Puerto Escondido hotel concierge, or the professional travel agencies in its entrance courtyard, can provide detailed information on these and more options.
Distance to the main turistic attractions
- Carrizalillo Beach - 1 mi (1.5 km)
- Puerto Angelito Beach - 1.3 mi (2 km)
- Tourist cobblestone street - 2 mi (3 km)
- Main Bay - 2 mi (3 km)
- Zicatela Beach - 2.3 mi (3.5 km)
- Punta Zicatela - 5 mi (8 km)
- Manialtepec lagoon - 10 mi (16 km)
- Chacahua lagoon - 40 mi (60 km)
- Ecoturistic center Ventanilla - 40 mi (65 km)
- Mazunte - 42 mi (66 km)
Distance to the main points of interest
- Puerto Escondido International airport - 1 mi (1.5 km)
- Bus station - 1.2 mi (2 km)
- Huatulco’s International airport - 64 mi (100 km)
- Bays of Huatulco - 72 mi (116 km)
- Oaxaca de Juárez - 160 mi (258 km)
- Acapulco de Juárez - 242 mi (389 km)